Shrapnel Valley and cemetery


Shrapnel Valley was the artery of Anzac and road up to the Turkish positions. Soldiers made their way along the Shrapnel Valley and up to steep slopes. This valley became the main road for Allied troops and supplies between the Anzac front line and beach during the Gallipoli Campaign. Turks were able to regularly bombard the valley and area with heavy gunfire. This valley got its name from the heavy shelling it was given by the Turks on 26 April 1915.

On the valley’s south lower reaches there were camps and depots and water obtained here in small quantities. About 1 km away the valley divides into two forks and the left upper part of fork was called Monash Gully after Sir John Monash. Turkish army controlled a crucial position of this valley which was 180m high from sea level and overlooked the length of Monash Valley so during day time Turkish snipers could dominate the valley. While Allied soldiers were carrying supplies to the front line, many of them were killed here. Even Australian officer, Major General Bridges was also fatally wounded in this valley on 15th of May. Because of Turkish artillery, walking along the Shrapnel Valley was always risky.

Today Shrapnel Valley has a cemetery with a huge Judas tree and it is one of the most beautiful lands on peninsula. In the Gallipoli peninsula Shrapnel Valley cemetery is the second largest one after Lone Pine cemetery. Cemetery is located at the lower and of the valley and covers an area of 2836 sq meters. There are 527 Australian burials, 28 British burials and 72 soldiers from unknown troops. As a first cemetery was formed during the Gallipoli campaign but it was enlarged with the addition of the independent graves in 1919. Today there are 683 burials in this cemetery and 598 of them are identified.