Courtney’s post was named from Australian Colonel R E Courtney. Steele’s post was named after Major T H Steel and it was a steep niche. Both Courtney’s post and Steele’s post were occupied on 25th of April, 1915 and held until December, 1915 and they were very close each other and linked with tunnels. Cemetery is located on these tunnels.
Courtney’s and Steele’s posts cemetery is near the Anzac Cove and contains 167 burials and 7 of them are unidentified.