Anzac Cove


On the Aegean side of Gallipoli Peninsula there is a small cove which is called as Anzac Cove. It was the landings of Anzacs in the Battle of Gallipoli during World War I. At Anzac Cove fewer boats landed troops than at Ari burnu. On the north of cove there is Ari Burnu, on the south of it there is Hell Spit (Queensland point) and it is a mere 600m long. The word of Anzac Cove was agreed by Turkish Government as an official name of this cove in 1985 but this cove received this name as a first on 29th of April, 1915. They held this land for eight months and lost many soldiers. The great majority of Anzacs landed here in the darkness and here was surrounded with enormous heights. Anzacs expected beach and gentle slope instead of steep cliffs. When they landed here they met with a lot more the Turkish Army than was supposed and Turks held the high ground. Here was the most difficult and unexpected place for landing, Turks did not expect a landing on Anzac Cove. General of Anzac troops hoped to gain the first ridge about three quarters of a mile from the shore before Turks realized what was happening. 1500 soldiers from three battalions had landed on a front of nearly a hundred meters long. Australians had reached Plugge’s Plateau at 5:30 am and battle reached a critical point. It is right to say countless families all over New Zealand and Australia had a son, dad or husband who knew something about Anzac Cove and it is the best known spot on Gallipoli.

Piers for example Watson’s Pier, were built to offload essential supplies and reinforcements near the Anzac Cove. In a short time cove became the place from which men arrived or left the peninsula, the headquarters site, the chief stores area for the Corps and the location of medical facilities. The place where Australians went after Anzac cove is not known but New Zealanders split into two forces and went to Sinai Palestine deserts and also France.